I visited Hawaii in March 2014 and have not moved on so much ever since. Yes, I went home with so many wonderful memories, let alone that I had quite an itinerary at that time: Alaska then Hawaii… yep BYE-BYE lower 48!
I decided to travel to the US at that time to take advantage of my US Visa validity. I was lucky enough to obtain a B1/B2 visa when I was in college. Yep, I had the chance to visit US for the very first time because of my nerdy-but-cool conference in Colorado back in 2010. I was granted a 5 years multiple entry visa and that is surely a strong reason for me to continue my travel in the US. Otherwise… I had to go through a series of gruesome (for some) visa application process without having letter of invitation whatsoever, LOL. Plus… I did not have that much of a life savings at that time to fulfil the financial requirement. Bottom line: I WAS LUCKY for having the visa beforehand.
Well, as I mentioned above, I had a drastic itinerary: ALASKA –> HAWAII. Snow to Sun. Though Alaska was extremely beautiful, but it was COLD up there. Yeah, I am a child of the tropic. Yes I love snow, but still, I hate the cold. That means going down to Hawaii was HEAVEN!
IT WAS HEAVEN! The weather was perfect, all-year-round! It’s sunny but you would not feel like being grilled. It almost felt like the sun kissed you really slowly and tenderly (Aw, watch that metaphor girl), LOL. I travelled with my 2 girl friends, and we visited Oahu and the Big Island. So, in this post I want to list a couple of activities and/or items that made my Hawaiian adventure so epic in those two Islands. Go and plan your Hawaiian adventure right away 🙂
- Chilling and watch sunset at The Duke’s Waikiki. Pinacolada and Mai Tai by the beach will never, ever, go wrong!
- Book a room that had a balcony with a sea view. Waking up seeing the Pacific was totally rewarding.
- Had a Loco Moco for breakfast. Hawaiian do breakfast just like us Indonesian, savoury and heavy!
- Soaked up the sun at Waikiki Beach!
- Tried the so many Japanese restaurants in Honolulu. Don’t be surprised that you will feel like you’re lost in Japan when in Honolulu. Even the TSA officers are so fluent in Japanese!
- Learn the history at Pearl Harbor, at least you will now the real deal from the Hollywood flick.
- Spent a night at a Luau and learn the history and the livelihood of the Polynesian culture in a hilarious way.
- Watch sunset at Mauna Kea. Climb up the peak of Hawaii! and get stunned by, by far, the best sunset in my life.
- Join one of the so many Astronomy tours in Mauna Kea, the night sky was so splendid.
- Road trip over the Saddle Road (Hawaii Route 200) from Kona to Hilo.
- Visit and greet the Hawaiian Green Turtle or known as Honu on Punaluu Black Sand Beach.
- Rent a cabin and stay in the Volcano town. I love our cabin there!
- A day at the Volcano National Park for sure! Walk and lots of walk… make sure to watch the active Halema’uma’u crater from Jaggar museum observatory deck. Not to mention the night sky as the background. Superb!
- Stop by at Akaka Fall State Park. Beautiful tale accompanying your visit to this green eye candy.
Well, those are the geek’s epic Hawaiian adventure activities. What’s yours?